Thursday, May 9, 2013

Revising My Approach

Earlier this week, I had my first taste of writer's block in months.  An application called for a writing sample in which I explain why I'm a well-qualified teacher, but after going through the usual steps of my writing process, I kept coming up empty when it came to turning my thoughts into coherent sentences.  I couldn't think of how to best showcase myself while showcasing my writing.  I tried all of my tricks: writing on lined paper, brainstorming to make an outline, creating possible topic sentences for each paragraph, reading aloud, crossing out weak words, adding in synonym possibilities, arrows galore, etc.  

After three or four false starts, I decided to give myself a break until I could write something I liked.  It felt unsettling to go to bed without having it done, the deadline boring a proverbial hole into my confidence as a writer and a teacher.

I did the only thing I could do.

I went to the mall bright and early the next morning.

And, as I was finally free of my desk and the unwritten writing sample, my mind finally cleared, and I wrote the whole thing on that quiet bus ride to the mall: sub-headings, full sentences, illustrative examples, alles.

Lessons relearned?  Writing is difficult.  It's a process.  It involves starting and stopping.  It involves thinking and rethinking.  It takes time.  Even English teachers don't have poetry spouting from their pens or fingertips.  Writers will produce something they like as long as they don't give up and are willing to put in the work.  (Sometimes you just need to go to the mall?)

Because all blog posts need some sort of visual, here are some glimpses into life lately.

 
My first taste of Spargelcremesuppe (asparagus creme soup - so delicious), Ben amidst the flower beds at Mirabell, and a look up from our lunch table, respectively.  We can't forget that our time here is limited and that we have to make the most of it!

Also, here's what thirteen famous writers have said about writer's block.                     

No comments:

Post a Comment