Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hunde Ausstellung Salzburgs, oder Dogs with Captions

This past Sunday, we went to the Hunde Ausstellung Salzburgs, or the Salzburg Dog Exhibition. 

If you knew me, you'd know that I love dogs.  Growing up, dogs filled the house.  We're talking little teams of three or four of them.  The canine du jour for our family is and always has been toy poodles.  My mother grew up with them, and she made sure we did too.  I believe that owning and loving a dog (or a small troupe of them) is one of life's most wonderful pleasures.  Since my life is sadly lacking of dogs at the moment, I knew I had to go to the dog show in Salzburg to get my fix.

So, we went.  The exhibition hall smelled of leather leashes, rawhide, and well, dog.  Sigh.

While the dog show was a feast for the eyes, it reminded me that I need to learn how to use my camera for moving subjects.  ISO what?  Aperture who?  I've read tutorials from bloggers, articles, etc.  I'm rubbish at it, but I could still learn!  Any tips?

So, this blog post is not about action-packed, yet endearing photos of dogs.  Rather, it's about me wanting to talk about dogs and making fun of myself for these sad pictures.


My mother's youngest poodle, Cooper, does this same "praying" motion, in which he sits on his back legs and waves his forelegs in the air.  This Lhaso Apso did not want to cooperate with his handler at all during the junior handling section of the show.  He popped out of his collar two or three times. and he put on his brakes when she tried to walk him.  Despite all of that, she did not give up, and I was very impressed that someone so young had the poise and composure to get through the difficult showing.  She and her dog were awarded second place for her "tremendous nerve and focus." 

via and via
I'm the type of dog nerd who watches the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.  I had to watch it online for the first time this year, but it still packed its punch.  The title of Best in Show for 2013 belongs to Banana Joe, an Affenpinscher.  Affen translates from German to "monkey," and it's easy to see why.  I saw my first Affenpinsher this Sunday, and I could only speculate on the amount of pressure he must have felt competing in Banana Joe's angelic, imposing, prize-winning shadow.  


This little Shih Tzu wanted nothing more than to return to the imperial palace from whence he came. 


Buck from The Call of the Wild, anyone?  I think that my book cover pretty much lives up to the originals.  This beauty is a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, a cross between a German Shepard and a Carpathian Wolf.  The breed was created about 60 years ago to do search and rescues, border patrol, tracking, herding, and all the rest.  And if you had any doubts, he resisted long enough to win his first-place trophy!


I'm not kidding.  These are the photos I took.


Finally, to prove that we were there, here are two classic portraits of us, and a portrait of the bag Ben lifted to take home his German-language dog magazines.  If the graphic of a excrement-filled speech bubble atop Austria doesn't clue you in, here's the translation:

Save yourself a pile of discussions. 
Get a grip on dog hygiene.  

- Thanks, Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment