Sunday, September 30, 2012

How to Climb an Alp

While in Saalbach-Hinterglemm, we had the opportunity to go for a hike.  With our trusty Austrian guide, Rocky*, we were off!

*Name has been changed for libel protection.

Yes, he is wearing lederhosen with a backpack and sneakers
When you climb an Alp, you want a guide.  And by guide, I don't mean Rocky.  I chose the pseudonym "Rocky" for a very specific purpose; instead of taking us on the marked, cleared path, Rocky got us lost and proceeded to make us climb for our lives up a crag-like path intended for mountain animals.  We were innocent, unsuspecting Americans, Brits, and Scots, not behoofed* creatures adapted to the Alpine landscape.

* I created my own definition for this word, similar to "bespeckled."  For another definition of behoof, check here.

When you climb an Alp, you should bring a friend.  This friend should carry your water, pretzels, jacket when you begin to sweat profusely, and the weight of the world on his shoulders when you don't think you can go on.  If you quit on the Crag Trail, only a goat will be able to help you down.  If you have a friend, he can encourage you, feed you, and comfort you (unlike a goat?).  So, in short, you should bring a friend.  Here's mine.

When a fellow hiker asked if we wanted a photo with this sign, I replied, "Yes, for posterity!"

When you climb an Alp and your friend keeps telling you that the peak is close-by, resist the urge to snap and keep snapping pictures.  High winds and less oxygen can make one irritable, or that's what I'm just going to say.  It was relatively close at this point.

The red face does not lie.  It took so much out of me to be at this point.  And there was more left.

Catching my breath on a plateau, nearly ready to do the 89 degree incline

Gorgeous - Click it!

 At the summit! Satisfaction achieved!
The sign and part of the cross at the top of the mountain

It felt like such an achievement to reach the peak.  I pushed myself.  I made it.  Being here, doing this, is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.  And what's better, I had my best friend with me.



Civilization below
And when you climb an Alp, your legs shaky; your body shivery; your spirit nearly broken; find time to laugh and enjoy life. It's what it's all about anyway.


Again, I am so lucky to be here.

2 comments:

  1. amazing post Jen, we miss you guys but it seems like you guys are having such a wonderful adventure! Amazing photos too!

    ReplyDelete