Saturday, July 20, 2013

Hütten Gaudi Part 3: The Descent

On our final evening at the cabin, the lighting was absolutely magical.  I walked around by myself, appreciating the beauty of the mountains and a moment of solitude. 


Come morning, we awoke to an unpleasant surprise: snow in May.  Immediately, terror seized me as I thought about descending the mountain in slippery, wet snow with my leg still bandaged.  We waited for an hour or so, and the snow stopped.  I made the executive decision of taking the logging roads for most of the descent instead of going through the forest trails.


On one of these logging roads, we came upon this:


Walking down a mountain in the Austrian Alps, we came across a man who made logging look quite easy.

The fog began to clear.


Amy graciously gave me one of her hiking poles on the way down.


Snowmelt in May!


When we finally descended, we spent a few hours at Johannes' family's farm. His grandmother and aunt prepared a delicious feast fit for four hikers. We had schnitzel, potatoes with parsley, and a salad with vinegar dressing.  Afterward, his grandma put a pot of water on the stove and went out into the garden. She came back with a handful of herbs, threw them in the water, and had soup a few minutes later. I thought that that was the coolest thing. :)      


 Silly, Hahn.  Why are you standing next to the bee hive?


 Just your average, run-of-the-mill bus stop, no?


And, a final look up at the mountain we conquered!

No comments:

Post a Comment