Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Stroll Around Mönchsberg

Here's a quick post about our little trek to Mönchsberg last week.  Salzburg is blessed with mountain trails that can easily keep wanderers busy for a couple hours.  After Ben came home from work, we jumped on the chance to enjoy a 50-something degree day before the sun went down.

But first, the walk there - 



This bridge is called Mozartsteg, and no, I've never sang "Do Re Mi" on it before.    


I've been wanting a photo here since we arrived, and as Ben was taking this much-anticipated photo, a car drove by and splashed mucky water all over the back of his legs.  Good times.   


Finally, we made it to Mönchsberg.  This is probably as good a time as any to describe one of my pet peeves about living here.  So, I'm a warm-blooded New Yorker, and when the temperature gets to be around 55 and the sun is shining, I consider the weather to be pretty darn good.  As we hoofed it up the dozens of stairs with the sun on my back, my scarf found a new home wrapped around my purse.  We got to the top of the mountain, and as a warm-blooded woman, I needed to cool off.  We rested and I took off my blazer.  I was wearing a sleeveless top, and I was able to enjoy the crisp air for about 30 seconds until a woman walked by completely decked out in a full-length puffy jacket, gloves, hat, scarf, and Nordic walking sticks (so many people use them on the streets - why?).  I felt her eyes lock onto my exposed shoulders and my tainted virtue, and I covered up again.  I mean, seriously, in October on a 60 degree day, people were geared up for the Iditarod.  Then, there was the day last fall when I deemed it sandal weather, and I went out in my beloved Birks with no socks (because I don't do that), and nobody else had exposed toes.  Fashion nightmare. 

When the warm weather comes, I may just have to be the harbinger of spring who wears a dress and sandals one day and then all of Salzburg will follow suit.         


Don't look so pained; it's only a photo!


Kapuzinerberg across the river. 



I don't know why, but I was so into this little stream in town on our way home.

 via


How cool is this?

No comments:

Post a Comment